Your best preparation for the Master of Music program:
To be admitted, you should already have:
- Bachelor’s degree in music from accredited university
- Pass screening audition process
- Graduate placement exams in music theory, aural skills, and music history.
Steps in applying to Master of Music program:
- Apply to be a WOU graduate student ($60 fee)
- Apply to Master of Music program
Ready to get started? Request more information or start the application process.
Deadlines and key dates:
Graduate students may apply to the Master of Music program anytime in order to start the program next fall, but please note the following deadlines:
- Apply to the program by February 1st for priority consideration of scholarships and graduate teaching assistantships. Graduate Student Assistant Positions are a form of student employment, earning a compensation package including both salary and tuition remission for the performance of research or teaching services to the University as part of a student’s academic and professional training and development. If you are interested in applying for a Graduate Assistant Position, please apply for this position no later than February 1st for priority processing.
Detailed application requirements:
Apply for WOU Graduate admission:
- Complete WOU Application for Graduate Admission online.
- $60 application fee
- Evidence of completion of a four-year baccalaureate degree (or international equivalent) from regionally accredited institution as defined by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars, with a cumulative B average (equivalent 3.00 on a U.S. 4.00 grading scale) on the most recent baccalaureate degree. If the applicant’s cumulative GPA is below 3.00, but a calculation using the last 90 quarter credits (60 semester credits) of graded course work is 3.0 or higher, the latter will be used as the basis for admission. Applicants who hold a master’s degree will have the 3.0 GPA requirement waived.
- GPA requirement: Students with less than 3.0 can also provide passing MAT/GRE scores to be fully admitted. A student who has an undergraduate GPA of 2.50 to 2.99 can be admitted conditionally for the first 9 credit hours. Students can petition for conditional graduate admission via the graduate student general petition located on the graduate office website. *Conditionally admitted students will not be able to receive financial aid until they become fully admitted students and a program plan is on file.
Music Admission Requirements
Apply for Master of Music program admission:
To apply to the Music Department M.M. program applicants must:
- Hold an earned BM or BA/BS in Music at an accredited institution.
- Complete and submit the M.M. Application form from the WOU Department of Music. There is not a fee for the Department of Music Application.
- Submit three written recommendations from persons who know the applicant’s professional and personal qualifications, at least one of which must be from a professor/professional in the proposed emphasis of study.
- Provide a writing sample (e.g., research paper, thesis, etc.). The writing sample will provide the evaluators with information concerning the potential of the applicant to successfully handle the academic component of the graduate degree. Evaluators will review the sample for command of English, the ability to present an argument in a cogent manner, and evidence of critical thinking.
- Graduate Placement Exams (GPE)
Submit the following materials based on applicant’s area of emphasis only: