Graduate Programs

Home » Student Resources


Graduate Student Resources


Welcome to graduate programs at Western Oregon University! Much of the information you need to successfully complete your degree can be found by checking the links on this page; including degree requirements via program plan forms, policies, graduate programs calendar, and thesis, action research, and professional project requirements and more.

If you have any questions about your degree progress that are not answered here, please contact Amber Deets from the Graduate Office or your faculty advisor for assistance.


Steps for success in graduate programs:

  • Meet with your advisor within your first term of enrollment
    • Complete your program plan
    • Create an action plan for completing degree in timely manner
  • Check your Financial Aid award letter
  • Sustain a gpa of 3.0 or above on all graduate level coursework
  • Check DegreeWorks via your WolfWeb to see your academic progress
  • Complete your pre-approval forms for thesis, professional project, or action research project at least one term prior to degree completion
  • Apply for Graduation via the Application for Completion of Master’s Degree form at least one term before you have completed courses
  • Check in with advisor at least once per term to make sure you are on track for graduation
  • If you have any questions, contact the Graduate Office


Graduate Student Expectations: (G-9)

Although grades of C+, C and C- are below the graduate standard, up to eight hours may be counted as credit toward a master’s degree if the course(s) was/were taken through Western Oregon University. Grades below a B- cannot be transferred into a WOU graduate program from another accredited university or college. A maximum of 15 credits of non-admit graduate coursework can be applied to an endorsement or degree program.

The graduate student must always maintain a B (3.00 GPA) average on the courses fulfilling the degree requirements (courses listed on the student’s graduate program plan of study). A department/program can establish more rigorous policies concerning the use of C grades in a degree program and/or overall minimum GPA requirements. Grades of D or F indicate unacceptable work and carry no graduate credit. A graduate student whose overall GPA falls below 3.00 or receives a grade of D or F must submit a petition with a plan of remediation to the Graduate Studies Committee. The petition and plan of remediation must be approved by the student’s adviser or program coordinator.

A grade of P/NC can be used by only a limited number of degree programs that have received special authorization and that can be counted as credit toward a graduate degree.


If you haven’t found the information you need or are still not sure where to direct your question, contact Amber Deets at or 503-838-8492.