Graduate Programs

Home » M.S. Rehabilitation Counseling » MSRC: FAQs


M.S. Rehabilitation Counseling

Overview     Application    Courses    Cost     Faculty

Frequently asked questions

What undergraduate degree do I need?
No specific undergraduate degree is necessary. The degree must, however, be awarded by an accredited college or university. Special courses in developmental psychology, cultural anthropology, special education and research have been identified by past students as providing a good background for the focus of the program. Those interested in the Rehabilitation Counseling Deafness option must be proficient in American Sign Language (ASL).

When can I begin my coursework?
Because classes are taught in sequence, RC program courses start fall term. RCD program courses start in summer.

Can I attend as a part-time student?
We don’t offer a part-time option at this time.

Can I work full time and be a full-time student?
RC graduate study is a commitment equivalent to a full-time job. As such, a student should work in a job outside his/her graduate studies no more than 15-20 hours a week. In addition, students are required to complete an intensive 600-hour (minimum) internship during their second year, which requires an average of 35 hours per week of work.

How long is the program?
This two year program requires 81 credit hours taken over seven or eight consecutive quarters (RC begins fall term, RCD begins summer term). Students that wish to take the Mental Health Counseling track will be required to take an additional 9 credits.

I am not an Oregon resident. Do I pay out-of-state tuition and fees?
Students in the RCD option who are residents of Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Utah, Washington or Wyoming are assessed in-state tuition and fees. All other non-Oregon residents are assessed out-of-state tuition and fees.

What is the job outlook after I graduate?
It’s excellent for RC and RCD graduates. In the past few years we have had 96 to 100 percent successful employment within six months of graduation. It should be noted that the more states a graduate is willing to consider, the quicker they find employment. Most of our graduates find jobs in Vocational Rehabilitation, community-based service programs for persons with disabilities, counseling agencies serving persons with disabilities, and post-secondary settings.

If I am admitted by WOU Graduate Programs, am I automatically accepted into the RCE program?
No, you must be admitted to the university for graduate studies before you can be considered for admission into the RCE program. Admission to the university does not guarantee acceptance into the program.


If you haven’t found the information you need or are still not sure where to direct your question, contact Kathy Heide -Program Assistant or 503-838-8322 Fax: 503-838-8228

Accessibility    Public Records    Privacy    Student Consumer Information

WOU prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression in all programs, activities and employment practices as required by Title IX, other applicable laws, and policies. Retaliation is prohibited by WOU.